Skip to main content

Ground Turkey Shepherd's Pie

I made this on a day where I wanted something comforting, easy, and delicious.  I also needed something that used what I had in the cabinets, and since we'd just gotten back in from visiting family for New Year's, pickings were slim.  All I really had in the fridge was some ground turkey.

Normally when I use ground turkey, I make a baked pasta with it.  We'd just had Italian food the day before I made this, so I was not craving pasta.  The hubster is not a fan of anything remotely healthy, but if you drown it (vegetables or turkey or anything) in cheese, he's a happy camper.  I honestly suspect that's why he likes the baked pasta so much.  He was really not sure about the whole concept of a shepherd's pie, especially one with ground turkey.  I promised him that if he tried it and hated it, I would buy a pizza.

Well, not only did I not have to buy a pizza, the man went back for seconds.  I think this is a win.  Thanks for the suggestion, Pinterest!

I used this recipe:  https://blackberrybabe.com/2019/02/28/easy-turkey-shepherds-pie/ and modified it a bit.  Her recipe calls for a nonstick skillet, and since mine was dirty, I used a stainless steel skillet.  Learn from my fail.  Use the nonstick.  Trust me on this.

I'm a lazy cook, so I used about 1/4 bag Kroger brand frozen chopped onion and 1/3 bag of Kroger brand frozen mixed veggies.  I used the kind with green beans, carrots, and peas.  I also used a pouch of Idahoan buttery homestyle mashed potatoes instead of the steam n' mash kind, which also meant I didn't need the butter or milk her recipe calls for.  I also didn't have the Worcestershire sauce, so I just skipped it.  Here's what I wound up using:

2 tbsp vegetable oil (which turned out to be too much)
1/4 bag of Kroger frozen chopped onion
1 lb 85/15 ground turkey
1/3 bag of Kroger frozen mixed vegetables
1 can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom
1/2 can of beef broth (also too much; use 1/4 can.)
1 pouch Idahoan buttery homestyle mashed potatoes, prepared.

I started off by cooking the onions in the oil, then adding the turkey and breaking it up into smaller pieces.  Since the turkey was 85/15, it released more grease than I planned on.  It would have been fine if I had drained it, but I didn't, so if you make it in a stainless steel pan, drain your meat/onion mix.  I seasoned it with kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to taste before adding about 1/3 bag of veggies.  When the veggies were mostly done, I added the soup and half a can of broth.  I had broth in cartons, so I poured broth into my now empty soup can to get a vague idea of measurements.  My jury-rig measuring cup worked fine; I just added too much broth.  A third or even quarter can would have been fine.  While that simmered, I made the potatoes and greased my 2 quart casserole dish.  The turkey/veg/soup mix went on the bottom, topped with potatoes.  I then threw it in the oven at 350 for about 25 min.

It turned out delicious, but greasy and a little soupy.  I definitely recommend draining the meat, using a nonstick pan, using slightly less broth, and not greasing the casserole dish.  On the whole though, it's a winner and is definitely going in my dinner rotation.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is my kitchen

I really wanted a more clever name for this blog than "Caldora Kitchen," but unfortunately, naming things is not a strength of mine.  This blog came out because I wanted to expand my cooking repertoire.  Also, I have a crap ton of cookbooks that I feel guilty for not using.  So, I decided to challenge myself to do one new recipe a week in 2020.  Since some of my friends are doing the same sort of thing, I figured I'd start a blog and keep track of the recipes I've tried, how they went, and hopefully get some feedback or suggestions. My kitchen is pretty simple.  I have a Keurig, toaster, KitchenAid stand mixer, stove, refrigerator, and a slow cooker.  Any recipes I use will use these things.  No Instant Pot for me.  My tiny kitchen does not have room for really anything else on the counter.  It's small enough that I've accidentally turned on the dishwasher with my butt while getting things out of my oven. Who butt-dials their dishwasher?  Me. Also, I'